have you even listened to any of the criticisms of your post presented to you? or are you waiting for that nice, polite brown person to criticize you in a way you can handle?
have you ever taken into account you’ve stepped into my inbox with a tone policing question? a question so loaded in “well can’t you see i’m trying to be a good white person” type of fail that i can’t even?
its not my job to recognize you as a “good white person” when your responses to my second post and others posts
- took ZERO accountability for how what you said was fucked up
- took ZERO steps in understanding how the problematic aspects of ABG don’t affect you as a white straight woman
- took ZERO steps to not make the conversation about yourself and your needs and what you face- because at the end of the day the oppression you face as a white straight person mean absolutely nothing to me in a conversation about Awkward Black Girl. you need to accept the fact that yes, mainstream television may be mad sexist, but you still have more that caters to you than QTPOC do and to use sexism in mainstream television as a deflection of the way in which white supremacy in media caters to you is derailing bullshit.
- and with that you took ZERO steps to understanding how the anti-LGBT bigotry of Awkward Black Girl affects those living in majority straight POC communities. how such bigotries are a reflection of the things we face everyday, and the difficulties of bringing up such things in our communities because people will do exactly what you did, which was attempt to justify why you watch the show and in the process effectively minimize our pain in being the brunt of a joke once again. lets also not forget that if we talk about anti-LGBT bigotry too loudly within POC communities, white folks will continue to look at us as overwhelmingly homophobic with very little socio-historical context in an attempt to paint us as the “backwards brown people”. so your whole response demonstrated that this conversation, amongst many, walk a very fine line of safety, vitality for ourselves as queer brown people within straight brown communities and subsequently to the larger world.
- you took ZERO steps to understanding why nobody has to cater to your tone policing needs in educating you. in fact its really not our job to educate you at all. but if we choose to, like i’m doing now, in no way shape or form am i obligated to put on a Easter bunny suit and pass out eggs filled with candy in the process.
you have basically ignored the commentary given to you because of its harsh presentation and instead turned everything around and made it a “well i gave a nice calm worded response and they’re still mad at me so that’s that” sort of deal.
which is the epitome of privileged whiteness on a stick
the fact that you can dismiss our feelings is privileged whiteness on a stick
the fact that you can continually make this about yourself and what you did to be a “good white person” but damn if those brown people would be nice to me is privileged whiteness on a stick
the fact that you think sexism faced by white women in mainstream media is equivocal to the oppressions faced by QTPOC in mainstream media is privileged whiteness on a stick. clearly you’re selectively choosing to ignore the three waves of feminism that have WHOLLY centred themselves around the oppression of just that, the straight white cis woman and how she feels.
the fact that you come into my ask box saying “Does it even matter to you that I want to help?” is privileged whiteness on a stick. why would i, as a queer black woman, want anybody playing white saviour with the issues related to my life when they simply turn around and drown my garden with their white tears? why would i want somebody to “help me” who can’t even listen to me unless my words are padded with plush fleece to make for a soft landing? why would i want help from someone who didn’t even bother to ask how i see their role as a white straight ally?
you claimed in your response to me you care about social justice
your social justice needs a LOT of work. but that’s never going to happen if you continue to dismiss people waiting around for the nice sweet anti-racist actively anti-LGBT bigotry tooth fairy like you’ve done today.